Saturday, October 15, 2011

Hiking in the Gorge

Today we slept in (!) and had a beautiful afternoon hike at the Colombia Gorge, about an hour away from where we live. This time it was Angel's Rest, which is a new hike for us, and it is definitely a do-again-er. It's was 5 miles round trip, and I think 1500 feet of elevation change. It took us to a lookout over the river. We didn't have time to fully explore the top. It was so neat! Pictures do not do it justice at all, but here are a few pictures.


The way it often is in the car. She really doesn't like her car seat!

Sometimes it gets quieter and calmer (or sleepier!!)

In the lovely new backpack carrier a friend sent. It is awesome.

There's a car in this picture. See it? It's hard to capture what a drop it is, but there are cliffs that are quite steep. I didn't venture close enough to the edge to show how far down it goes ;) 

Looking westward. The sunset, though occluded by trees most of the time on the hike down, was gorgeous! (No pun intended! :) 

Looking east. 

Looking east.

See, we eat anywhere! (Mom and Pop ate apples, Aftasie nursed :) This was sitting in a little "cave" of rock a good 4 feet above the trail to get out of the wind. 

My littlest sweetheart :) 

5 comments:

  1. Aftasie is growing so - I LOVE the cheeks (our kids had 'em too!) What a lovely hike!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is growing! Once in a while I worry about my milk supply (if I feel dehydrated, etc) but I think overall it has been going fine :) Your picture is on the fridge and Otto has quite impressive cheeks. And Fern looks like she mostly has cute dimples now! It's hard to realize that Aftasie is already past the small infant stage and it's flown by already. It's nice to be getting more sleep but I miss the little crumply baby :)
    I can't believe how many good hikes there are around here. There are also dozens of waterfalls, such as Multnomah, which you can hike up to the top of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is new for me, posting on a blog! I love the photos, both here and earlier. Aftasie is already big enough to face forward in a car seat!? My oh my!Looks like you have a lovely day. I can relate to adjusting to rain and especially cloud cover. My whole world brightens with sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to blogs -- the internet before facebook! :) She's actually facing back :) Not quite big enough for forward yet. I think the minimum is something like 30 lbs? She's about 17 pounds now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You could try the Dog Mountain Loop next time you have a chance. It's about 7 miles and 2900 feet, but it goes quicker then it sounds. I would recommend starting out heading west, which isn't the usual direction, but it makes for a much nicer view than starting north up the usual counter clockwise direction.

    ReplyDelete