Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Aftasie vs Back

And my back loses, every time! Today I got a few bouts of excruciating pain from what I think is my sacroiliac joint. I'm not sure that it's caused by a sacroiliac problem but that's what I assume it is. I've had back pain off and on since I was 17-18. I used to carry things that were way too heavy. I wouldn't listen when my dad said "Get two people to carry that!" No way, because I was strong enough to lift it! Sheesh, I remember hauling 90 pound bags of concrete around when we poured the cement in the backyard. That would be killing me now. Poor back. So abused.

It's not constant pain, thankfully. It's like a nerve pinches for a few seconds or minutes. It nearly always brings me to my knees or makes me unable to walk. Sometimes I just have to stand there until it goes away and I can walk again. Bleh. Well tomorrow I'm going to the doctor for a physical and I'm going to bring it up. In the meantime I am just going to stop carrying Aftasie. I have been trying to use gentler motions and have her do all of the work. I make her climb in the stroller, I have her step into the tub, etc etc. Usually I just grab her and swing her around where she needs to go. No more! I have to be proactive about this if I want to make it through this school year (and life!).

I think I have identified what causes it, and that is sweeping, mopping, or shovelling. Anything with that kind of motion that is repetitive. I'm afraid I'm going to have to tell my friend who I clean for occasionally that I can't do her floors anymore :( It's just too risky. What if I get to clinicals and my back is out?


1 comment: