Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Garlic Scapes



So for a while I thought these were called snapes, which sounds a lot cooler than scapes, but scapes they are. Garlic scapes, that is. They are the tops of garlic plants and apparently only available a very short time of the year. We are going to eat them in stirfry tonight. They are said to taste like bright, fresh garlic. I would love to grow garlic sometime. It seems like every time I've tried the bulbs rot. I wonder why? Overwatering? I really have no idea, but it sounds so good to have fresh garlic from a plant you grew. And if we end up liking scapes a lot we could have those from the plant too.

We have been in Eugene housesitting (Aftasie and I) and we have been having such a great time. Except that it's been rainy and cool. Typical Oregon summer, ehem. It was raining when Aftasie was born last year, so I'm not really surprised. Maybe we'll have a long summer, which of course Porter and Aftasie will be able to enjoy while I'm in school :P

Speaking of which, I'm surprised how much I like the Willamette Valley, where we live. I really do love most aspects of the northwest. There are some, um, personality differences between me and the West Coast in general, but I do love it up here in beautiful Oregon. I am even finding I like the rain. There is nothing, as far as I know, like our coast here, and the beautiful verdant forests. The forest really does look like this. 
(I just realized you have to scroll down to the next picture. Won't let me link directly).

No comments:

Post a Comment