Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Winter is Coming!

Well, it's only fall, but pretty soon here in Oregon the rain is going to settle in and we'll have rain for months on end. Not only is the rain going to come, but about 7 more months of school.

Now, I don't have too much to complain about. The house is warm, school is not awful, I have an adorable little baby and I live with someone I'm very in love with.

But winter is dreary. It just is. The short days, no sunshine, cold weather, etc. This is all reason for there to be winter traditions that distract from the dreariness, when it is dreary.

This winter I'm trying to be better prepared. There need to be some kind of rituals, traditions, that make it all much better. I think we need a couch (we finally have room for one!!) with blankets and place to set warm drinks. Also, access to books and good lighting for either relaxing or reading. We have Christmas lights strung above where I'm planning to put a couch, but we probably need a lamp or two.

Besides environment, what about food and drink? Are there drinks that lend themselves to winter cheer? Tea, mulled cider, hot buttered rum.

What do you do? What makes long, dark evenings more pleasant?

No comments:

Post a Comment