Monday, November 14, 2011

Lullaby...etc., etc.

So, Aftasie usually goes to sleep around midnight. Sometimes 11pm, sometimes 12:30am. She sleeps for a long period at night (with munchy breaks, of course!) and doesn't nap all that much.

Tonight she was getting really fussy and rubbing her eyes around 11pm, and I thought it must be time for bed! I was pretty excited because that means I could go to sleep. I nursed her on one side, she fell asleep so I got up to do some stuff before tomorrow (we go to class together tomorrow) amd in about 10 minutes she woke up. No big deal, because I'm all ready to go to bed so I turn off the light, tuck us in, etc. Five minutes later she's done nursing and happy-screeching. I kissed her goodnight and told her I was going to sleep and rolled over. She just lay in bed making happy noises for probably 15 minutes. The she gets a little fussy, so I nurse her, she comes off and it just as happy and awake as can be. She's sitting in my arms as I type this, bouncing around and making happy noises. What a night :)

3 comments:

  1. I don't see a timestamp on this post, but last time I looked at my clock, it was 3:00 a.m. We have an indefatigable child!

    ReplyDelete
  2. are you familiar with elizabeth pantley's books? she wrote "the no-cry sleep solution" and several variations on that theme. audrey pointed me towards her when fern was having some early sleep issues. anyhow, aftasie may just be a night owl, but pantley writes about how most babies (and toddlers/young children) have their biological clocks set for an ideal bedtime between 6:30-7:00 p.m. and that is definitely what we've found to be true for our kiddos (well, at least before 8 pm). amazingly, most babies also sleep longer with an earlier bedtime, and it tends to lend itself to daytime napping success too. both our kids (otto still) woke up throughout the night to nurse and we've co-slept as well (same with audrey's girls), but i'd nurse them down and they'd usually have a few hours of solo sleeping before i came to bed. here's a link to pantley's website with some excerpts from her books: http://www.pantley.com/elizabeth/books/0071381392.php?nid=170&isbn=0071381392
    ~shelby

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the rec, Shelby. I often put her to sleep in the early evening (from probably 7 on) and she sleeps for about 10 minutes and wakes somehow unbelievably refreshed and bouncy. I don't know how she does it! I really wish she would nap more during the day, though, because she gets so much happier after she naps.

    ReplyDelete