Sunday, May 19, 2013

New Post! That Suffices to Say.


I have – forgotten what I was going to say. I was sitting here to blog and there was a little disturbance and then I had to get up and tend to something in the house and I forgot how I was going to start my blog.

But anyway, I am sitting here watching TWO girls! Aftasie has a friend over and they’re both playing pretty quietly and happily. It’s great. I’m going to make sweet potato rounds in the toaster over (with olive oil and cinnamon!) and all is going to be a pretty fun morning.


So I’ve had some thoughts lately that are blogable (I guess). The last I will address first because it’s freshest in my mind. There are some parts of my house that are just embarassing. Mostly it’s my own personal space, but I’m getting really tired of it. Because I don’t enjoy it myself either. It’s too cluttered, too messy, too disorganized, etc. I don’t really know what to do about this except clean it, but it always reverts back to this state. I think what’s needed is more a change in habits than a change in cleaning routines (although that could be part of the routine). I’m really glad to be having company over semi-regularly (mostly friends for playdates!) because it gets me to clean up the main part of the house.  But my own space? Forget it. Maybe I need to have a party in my bedroom?? :P

That is just embarrassing to admit, really. I hate having a dirty and disorganized house. I love how it is when I deep clean and get everything straightened. But then slowly it reverts and I hardly notice until it’s so bad I just ignore it.

But change can happen, right? Anyone make successful changes to their habits? I’m 25 already, you know, so my habits are pretty much ingrained in me at this point.


Second is I have this inspiration to change the way I dress again. Every so often I see people who dress well, or at least dress with their personality, and I wish I was like that. I was just realizing that I am totally going to be the same person in 30 years if I don’t change my clothing habits, too. The only consistent change I have made so far is that if I’m not wearing athletic clothes, no sneakers. I’d  made an exception if it were for practical reasons, but with jeans, at least, I wear my Bean boots (and in the summer, flipflops).

The problem is not that I don’t think my clothes are stylish enough, or that they’re boring. I want suitability to task, appropriateness and coordination (IE, no heels with sweatpants!), and attractiveness suited to my own body and style along with simplicity. I don’t want a vintage wardrobe, or to commit to some kind of elaborate clothing rules. I just want to develop a simple, personal style that suits me and what I do. I want to be an intentional dresser, and not just haphazardly wear whatever comes out of the closet.

One problem right now is finding a shoe that is a little more attractive than winter boots, more formal than flipflops, and easy to walk in. Any suggestions? Ballet flats are not out of the question, but they need to be very comfortable for walking in. Maybe oxfords. I have a nice pair but they are breaking from being worn so much :( 

It’s also a little awkward that I get inspiration like this right before I lose weight, or as I’m growing from pregnancy :P But simplicity is always good, so I think I can learn some lessons right now from dressing for pregnancy.

No comments:

Post a Comment