Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Body and Text

There are so many voices in the world! As many as there are people. People publish all kinds of things online, write all kinds of books, say all kinds of things in person.

It is beginning to seem to me that words and language are somewhat like our bodies. Our bodies do certain things and feel certain things but our souls are not made of our bodies. Likewise, words say certain things and ideas take certain forms that can't help but form in our minds the moment we grasp them, but what really matters is the spirit. Does it matter so much what the words say as what the spirit is? If there is some bit of truth we can resonate with, am I not to resonate with it, ignoring the bad for the sake of preventing it from encroach upon this manifestation of truth?

I find myself very, very critical of everything (and naturally, critical of my judgement of it). And some things are worthy of criticism, sure, but what am I missing in the meantime? How can I shut out everything I come into contact with for the sake of it being impure and tainted with human spirit, which is full of shortcomings? How can I shut out every cry of my heart for the sake of "not trusting my heart" and still hear God? Habits are hard to break.

How can God speak to my heart if I refuse to listen to my heart? How will God shape my soul if I refuse to acknowledge that anything beautiful could ever come of my soul? How much do I really trust God? Do I really believe that he is good, and that he is more powerful than I?





2 comments:

  1. This is really profound. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Questioning yourself, the world around you and your own beliefs is an integral part of life. So go on with it. Sometimes is can be frightening, but you might make some interesting discoveries.

    ReplyDelete