Tuesday, January 17, 2012

So...First Week, Check.

The first week of school has come and gone. I've met all my teachers, got all my syllabi, etc. Let me tell you, I'm sleeping a little better this week!

Besides the stress giving me a bit of insomnia, Aftasie has been sick and waking every hour. I exaggerate not :( But for the past two nights she's slept for a few hours at a time, which is wonderful. Last week I think I was just surviving on coffee and nerves.

 I was fortunate to find a few night classes this week, and I actually only have one class that's MWF, which is pathophysiology. The nursing classes are once a week Monday (two-hour lecture), Wednesday (a six hour lab), and Friday (two-hour lecture), and a bible class Monday night for 2.5 hours, and a nutrition class on Thursday night for 2.5 hours.

Nursing school so far has been LOTS of reading. Lots of it. Now, I'm a happy, fast reader. I'm really grateful for that, because I only have so much time to spend on it. The big question is going to be how much I need to retain from the reading. Our teachers have said they'd give us a study guide the week before the test, because they do not expect us to perfectly recall hundreds of pages. The reading, for the most part, is actually interesting, so I feel like I'm not doing enough when I read it and am enjoying it. But we shall see!

Another part is countless assignments. Watch this video, write a reflection, do this case study, do your certification for clinical requirements, practice your skills, interview someone, etc. OK, so they're not countless, but it seems like there are too many to keep up with in my head. I've resorted to computer scheduling, since I am going to have my computer with me most of the time.

Speaking of computer, all of my books are on my computer. That is pretty cool! I also have the hard copies, and I prefer reading from them, but it's great to be able to take all of my assigned reading with me from all of my textbooks.

I finished the week (or started the next) with a little car incident. I left Porter and Aftasie at home to drive to the next town over and do a little shopping and stop in at a friend's house. I was feeling really happy to just get out of the house by myself. So, I had the radio going, blah blah blah. The brake lights came on. I pulled into a gas station and parked. The car wouldn't start again! Checked all the fluids, plugs, etc. Nothing wrong. I got a jump, started driving home, and I realized my hood wasn't secured properly, so I put on my flashers and slowed down and looked for a place to pull over. I pulled onto a road and stalled! Right about 2 feet away from train rails! In the middle of the road. It wouldn't go into neutral for anything. I called Porter, did a few things to no avail. I ran to a house further down the street, really worried about the train coming, no answer. Ran to another one and interrupted a big family gathering, apparently. Three guys came and jump started the car three times, and each time they took the cables off it died, till the battery was completely dead. And still stuck in neutral (I even had them try :P ) So, I called 911, first of all, because I realized that the train would probably have an accident if it came down the rails, and secondly called a tow truck. It turned out fine (the police didn't even come! I called them back when the tow truck came and they said it was fine to leave as long as everything was OK. Haha), but I waited for almost an hour outside and when all was said and done, it took me three hours to get home and my fun afternoon was over and ruined :( But you know, I mean, it does give you a little thrill to pay the bill for a tow truck, doesn't it? :P

Hopefully it's just the alternator or maybe even just the battery. And I found out from the tow truck driver how to get the car in neutral if it's stuck. He was a cool guy. Told me about a practical joke played at my college about 15 years ago. Some guys carried a car into the auditorium and took off a tire. And put smelt on the lights! Haha. I laughed ;) I wonder who got expelled...

Anyway. That's it for now. I'm so busy you can't count on any regular updates but I will write from time to time :)




No comments:

Post a Comment